While Savannah has plenty of classic southern cuisine like she-crab soup, shrimp and grits, and homemade biscuits, there’s more to this city’s culinary flavor than you might expect. In fact, Savannah is home to some absolutely delicious Mexican restaurants and we’ve got the low-down on every dish you simply have to try!
- Tequila’s Town Mexican Restaurant | 109 Whitaker St., Savannah, GA 31401 | 912.236.3222
This busy restaurant is a local favorite, and you can easily see why! We recommend the chilequiles – a house specialty. Picture a very elaborate plate of nachos: corn tortilla chips, salsa casera, and asada steak, smothered in melted Monterey jack cheese, all topped off with a fried egg. There are two locations in Savannah, but if you don’t mind a short wait, we recommend the downtown spot. It’s inside the city’s to-go cup zone, so you can take a fresh lime margarita with you after dinner!
- Blowin’ Smoke Southern Cantina | 1611 Habersham St., Savannah, GA 31401 | 912.231.2385
With fabulous happy hour specials, plenty of outdoor seating, and frequent live music, this Tex-Mex cantina is the perfect venue to enjoy on a breezy spring day. Order the Memphis Belle – a southern take on the taco, made with in-house pecan-smoked BBQ pork, coleslaw, and fried onion.
- Agave Bar and Grill | 402 1st St., Tybee Island, GA 31328 | 912.472.9022
If you’re spending the day on the sunny shores of Tybee Island, you’re sure to work up an appetite. Head to this colorful, cozy, local dive for flavorful chicken quesadillas, carnitas-topped sopes, and reasonably priced drinks!
- Bull Street Taco | 1608 Bull St., Savannah, GA 31401 | 912.349.6931
This modern taqueria offers a fresh take on the local taco joint, with an emphasis on healthy, innovative ingredients. They make their masa tortillas by hand every day, and while the tacos are delicious, we highly recommend saving room for dessert, so you can try the incredible churros stuffed with gooey goat’s milk caramel!
- Cancun Mexican Restaurant | 5500 Abercorn St., Savannah, GA 31405 | 912.356.1333
This no-frills venue may be a bit off the beaten path, but make no mistake – it’s a diamond in the rough! Come hungry and order the El Gordo – an epically proportioned burrito that you may want to split with a friend!
- Carlito’s Mexican Bar and Grill | 119 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Savannah, GA 31401 | 912.232.2525
Celebrate Taco Tuesdays at this festive downtown restaurant! You can’t beat $1 crunchy tacos with any purchase, filled with your choice of ground beef, shredded chicken, beans or potato.
- Jalapeno’s Mexican Grill | 7 E Broughton St., Savannah, GA 31401 | 912.712.5125
With seven locations in the Savannah area, this local chain is known for its extensive menu, tableside guacamole, and long list of margarita flavors. Don’t leave without a sopapilla for dessert – crunchy flour tortillas dripping with honey, butter, and cinnamon!
- El Coyote | 1 W Victory Dr. b, Savannah, GA 31405 | 912.236.5737
This brand-new restaurant offers a slightly more upscale atmosphere with unusual dishes, attentive service, and creative cocktails. Try the Mexican Firing Squad, made with blanco tequila, lime, hibiscus, and bitters.
- Lizzy’s Tequila Bar and Grill | 417 E. River St., Savannah, GA 31401 | 912.341.8897
This relaxed, riverfront restaurant is the perfect spot to grab a bite while you tour the Historic District. Try the chorizo sausage and shrimp chimichanga paired with a spicy chipotle pineapple margarita!