The Andrew Low House
Andrew Low commissioned New York architect John Norris to design and construct his house in 1848. Norris came to Savannah to design the Custom House on Bay Street and remained in Savannah to build many desirable residences using the latest in technology and luxury. The Italianate exterior features, intricate cast iron railings, and side balconies contrasting with the smooth, stuccoed brick walls. The well proportioned rooms are decorated with elaborate plaster cornices and carved woodwork. The delicate balance of exterior restraint and opulent interior resulted in an elegant villa for the family. The house remained in the family until the death of Andrew Low’s daughter-in-law, Juliette Gordon Low, Founder of Girl Scouts of the USA. The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia purchased the house from her heirs in 1928. Following many years of loving maintenance and conservation, the house was opened to the public in 1950.