Savannah is a city steeped in history, so you’ll want to soak up all the knowledge you can during your next visit! There’s no better way to learn about Savannah’s rich history and fascinating folklore than by taking a tour. Whether you prefer to travel by trolley, Segway, or on foot, you’ll find a tour that suits your interests, activity level, and time constraints. Make your reservations now for a one-of-a-kind experience in Savannah!
Old Savannah Tours
Old Savannah Tours is the largest Savannah-owned and operated company, and their large white trolleys have been a Savannah staple since 1979. Voted best tour every year since 2003, their tours are developed by Savannah locals, with stops throughout the city.
- The Historic On/Off Tour is their most popular option, as it offers guests the chance to hop off the trolley at any of the 15 stops in the Historic District to take a closer look around, or ride for the full 90-minute experience. With introductions to famous historical characters giving personal accounts in period-specific costumes, the Historic On/Off Tour (and its non-on/off counterpart the Historic Overview Tour) provide a fascinating, succinct, and immersive look into Savannah’s past.
- If you prefer a more comprehensive venture, we recommend the three-hour Savannah Experience In addition to the Historic District, this tour covers Savannah’s Victorian District, Thomas Square neighborhood restoration, the Beach Institute, and Victory Drive. Give yourself permission to slow down and soak up all the sites during this thorough excursion through the city.
- Interested in Savannah’s haunted history? Try the Grave Encounters Tour, departing nightly at 7PM, to meet some of the city’s most famous ghosts and ghouls.
- Did you know that Savannah is the birthplace of Girl Scouts founder Juliette Gordon Low? Scouts of all ages are invited to learn more about the original Girl Guide as they explore the Andrew Low House and Girl Scout Headquarters on the Discover Savannah Girl Scout Tour.
- Calling all lovers of historic art and architecture! The History & Architecture Package combines the perks of the Historic On/Off Tour with tickets to tour National Historic Landmark the Owens-Thomas House, as well as free admission to Telfair Academy Museum, and contemporary gallery Jepson Center for the Arts. Spend all day perusing Savannah’s rich culture and history, while you move at your own pace through the Historic District’s most beautiful museums.
Adventure Tours in Motion
If you’re looking for an up close and personal tour of the city but worry about dragging your heels in Savannah’s steamy weather, we recommend the Adventure Tours in Motion Segway Tour. With 60-minute and 90-minute options, and no prior Segway experience necessary, you’ll glide through the Historic District’s famous squares with guided instruction from your experienced local tour guide. The 90-minute version also offers a “bonus stop” at either St. John’s Cathedral, Forsyth Park, or Colonial Park Cemetery. They also offer a Tybee Island Tour, just 25 minutes from downtown Savannah, with transportation provided from their downtown location.
Hearse Ghost Tours
If you have a fondness for the macabre, you’ll be thrilled by the opportunity to tour the city after dark in a real hearse. Enjoy spine-tingling tales of the city’s paranormal side as you cruise through the city’s Historic District and cemeteries. With a dash of history and plenty of humor, you’ll love learning more about Savannah’s spooky past on the famous Hearse Ghost Tour.
Walking Tour with Steve Ellis
If you’re looking for a private, personalized experience catering to your specific interests, look no further than Steve Ellis’ private walking tours. This Savannah native is a passionate history buff with expertise in many areas of the city and its history, including the Civil War, Savannah’s Squares, and Bonaventure Cemetery. Steve’s tours are customizable and uniquely memorable, weaving storytelling with historical fact and offering personal anecdotes.
Southern Flavors Savannah
Looking to experience the local Southern flavor? You’ve come to the right place! Southern Flavors Savannah offers three tour options to satisfy all your cravings. The Taste Tour is a fantastic overview of the food and history in Historic Downtown Savannah. You’ll sample plenty of authentic Lowcountry cuisine, including award-winning shrimp and grits, blue crab stew, and fried crab claws, while you learn about Savannah’s history and see the sites that served as locations in Forrest Gump. If you’re over 21, check out the Haunted Pub Crawl – a two-hour walking tour with stops Tondee’s Tavern, Factor’s Walk, and Kevin Barry’s Irish Pub. You might just bump into a ghost or two! Hungry for more? The Dessert Tour offers a taste of Savannah’s sweeter side, with stops at Mabel’s, Below Zero, and FreezN, among others!